Makes: approximately 20-25 large cookies (number depends on cookie cutters used)
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line a large baking tray.
- Take the butter out of the fridge and cut it into small cubes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the caster sugar, flour, vanilla and salt and stir until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Add in the cold butter and using a rubbing motion, “rub” the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles wet sand.
- Add in the ice cold water gradually. Between each addition, collect the dough together and knead it until a smooth dough forms that no longer falls apart.
- Roll the dough out, either onto your lined baking tray or on a lightly floured surface until 1cm thick.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as the dough will allow, and distribute them across the tray.
- Bake for approximately 8 minutes or until golden brown.