Makes: 9 scrolls (low FODMAP serving size: 1 scroll)
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the milk and butter and microwave until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm.
- Sprinkle over the yeast and sugar and cover. Sit for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to bloom.
- Add the vanilla and whisk the yeast and the sugar into the milk mixture.
- Gradually sift in the flour until the mixture becomes a dough and you need to transfer to a floured bench to knead in the remaining flour.
- When the dough is smooth, return it to the bowl, cover it and leave it in a warm place for an hour to rise.
- Meanwhile, make the apple and rhubarb filling. Peel and chop the apple, and chop the rhubarb.
- Add them to a saucepan with the water and brown sugar and bring to a simmer. Cook until soft and thickened. Set aside to cool
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a long, thin rectangle.
- Spread the apple and rhubarb mixture over the entire surface of the dough.
- Roll the dough up into one large scroll, and then cut into 9 pieces.
- Arrange them in a standard square baking dish, and brush with a beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
- To make the icing, combine softened cream cheese, icing sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Spread over the top of the scrolls prior to serving.
Leave a Comment