Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, and deliciously salty, these low FODMAP savoury pretzels are the ultimate snack.
- 1/2 cup lactose free milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2.5 cups low FODMAP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp bicarb soda
- 1 egg
- Extra salt for topping
Makes: 6 pretzels
- In a large mixing bowl, warm the milk and water in the microwave. Make sure it's not too hot (you should be able to put your finger in and it feel like a warm bath).
- Sprinkle the caster sugar and yeast over the top of the water/milk and allow it to sit for 10 minutes until the yeast blooms.
- Whisk the sugar and yeast in until combined.
- Add the flour and salt and combine until a smooth dough forms. Cover the bowl with cling wrap or a kitchen towel and place in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Fill a saucepan with water and add the bicarb. Bring it to the boil while you assemble your pretzels. At the same time, preheat the oven to 180C.
- Using a kitchen scale, divide the dough into 6 even balls.
- Roll each ball out into a long snake, overlap the two ends and twist them again. Then, fold these ends down onto the loop of dough at the bottom to form a pretzel. Repeat until you have 6 pretzels.
- Place each pretzel in the boiling water/bicarb mixture one at a time for 5-10 seconds. Remove them and place on a lined baking tray.
- Brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle generously with salt. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with butter.