Mac & Cheese
Did someone say low FODMAP Mac & Cheese? I thought so. Here you go.
- 100g butter
- 3 tbsp low FODMAP flour
- 2.25 cups low FODMAP/lactose free milk
- 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 160g cheddar cheese
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 50g mozzarella cheese
- 250g low FODMAP/gluten free elbow pasta
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp melted butter
Makes: 6 serves
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter (100g) and stir in the flour.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring between every 1/2 cup addition or so, to allow the mixture to thicken slightly before adding more.
- Once all the milk is added, add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and continue to stir until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Turn off the heat and stir through all the cheeses until smooth.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir through until well incorporated, and pour this into a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter (2 tbsp).
- Top the pasta with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake the mac and cheese in the oven until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.