Caramel Stuffed Brownies
Low FODMAP Caramel Stuffed Brownies that are fudgey and gooey, and filled with a gorgeous ripple of sticky, salty caramel.
For the Caramel:
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 30g butter
- 1/4 cup lactose free cream
For the Brownies -
- 150g butter
- 200g chocolate
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 3/4 cup low FODMAP plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the sugar and the water together until it has dissolved. Continue to cook until it is bubbling, thickened and amber in colour.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the butter, whisking continuously as it bubbles.
- Once the bubbling has settled, do the same with the cream.
- Line the tin you will bake your brownies in with non-stick baking paper or a silicone mat, and pour the caramel in. Use a spatula to even it out.
- Place the caramel in the freezer for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, preheat the oven to 170C.
- Once the chilling time has elapsed, make the brownies by adding the butter and the chocolate to a large mixing bowl, and melting them together in the microwave.
- Add the sugars and stir until combined.
- Add the eggs and whisk them in until the mixture is smooth.
- Sift in the cacao and flour, and add the vanilla and salt, stirring until the batter is smooth and everything is well incorporated.
- Remove the caramel from the freezer and from the tin. Grease your tin and pour 1/2 the brownie batter in.
- Peel the caramel away from the non-stick sheet, and place it on top of the brownie batter in your tin.
- Top with the remaining brownie batter, smooth it with a spatula and bake for 35 minutes. The top of the brownie will still be wobbly - this is because the caramel will be molten until the brownies cool.